Automatonism is a modular synthesiser that runs in the open source programming language Pure Data. It features a large library of 81 modules (version 2.1). Follow these simple steps to get started:
- Install Pure Data Vanilla on your device.
- Download Automatonism_2.1.zip
- Open the file "main.pd". Read the Quick Guide and Manual, which are integrated into the software.
- Start patching!
Modular synthesis is akin to musical gardening: modules can spring to life and their interconnections suggest the formation of a sonic ecosystem. The act of patching is no different to playing any other instrument: it affords the opportunity to express oneself and directly engage with other people.
It is towards that goal of performability and communication that Automatonism was created. It mimics the signal flow of a physical modular but features dynamic preset management and advanced parameter mapping tools on an open-source platform.
Most importantly, it will hopefully encourage people to delve into the making of generative algorithms via modular synthesis. If you want to support this project and the future development of the software, you are kindly directed to the Automatonism Bandcamp, or to book a live-performance/lecture/workshop.
Copyright © 2017, Johan Eriksson
Automatonism is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
Automatonism 2.1 update: fixed a bug where the LP-FILTER was not loaded from the module list.
Automatonism 2.0 updates:
- 14 new modules:
PD-303, POLYFM, POLYSYNTH, SAMPLER, LOOPER, MEGAVERB, AUDIO-RECORDER, MULTITRACK-RECORDER, OVERDRIVE, PITCHSHIFTER, TRIGGER-TRAIN, MANUAL-TRIGGERS, EXTERNAL-AUDIO & GRAPHIC-EQ
- General improvements and bugfixes
Automatonism 1.1 updates:
- fixed a bug with the VCA and MAESTRO4 that produced a problem with shorter percussive envelope shapes
- Added an ORGANELLE-OUTPUT module
- Fixed a bug with the CLOCK cv input
- changed the quantizer to transform bi-polar input signals to uni-polar
- fixed a bug where the right outlet of MILLERVERB was out of phase.
- made a selector on the 1to4SWITCH & 4to1SWITCH to enable 2 step, or 3 step switching
- got rid of a few error messages in the pd console